To all y’all who just may think the IRS will voluntarily tell you how much they owe you, be careful. Somebody else thinks you exist.
Things that should tip you off:
- The IRS does not contact you by email
- The email address is not a government address. IRS addresses would end with “@irs.gov”.
- Government emails use more graphics. All your tax dollars have to pay for more bandwidth.
- The website the link directs you to is not an IRS website.
- No legitimate business ends their communication “Regards, <their company name>”
- There is not a copyright on email communication any more than there is a copyright on letters you write.
So just in case you get one of these emails, kindly do the whole world, and especially yourself, a big favor. Just delete it or report it as spam so your email service provider can improve their filters against such scams.
Hat tip to thatmarkguy.